The article regards the age peculiarities of the development of personality’s self-consciousness in youth.
The conducted theoretical analysis and empirical research contribute to the definition of the following features of the formation of personality self-consciousness in youth:
– strengthening the integrative tendency in this process, which leads to an increase in the level of cognitive complexity, differentiation, integrity, and hierarchy of the “Self-image”, as well as the emergence of a holistic, integrated “I”;
– the ability of self-awareness as the highest form of self-knowledge, due to the higher level of development of intelligence and the individuals thinking;
– increase of the level of awareness of the personality of their own experiences, self-attitude, and selfesteem, which contributes to the growth of interest in his/her “I”;
– actualization of the process of development of personal and social self-identity (self-determination) of youth;
– intensification of formation of the system of value orientations as a psychological basis for the development of personality’s self-consciousness;
– an ability to make informed decisions in various spheres of life (social, professional, personal, etc.), which is the evidence of becoming a socially mature person;
– psychological mechanisms for the development of the youth’s self-consciousness is self-reflection, identification, and separation;
– a pivotal object of self-reflection is the relationship with significant others and their own life position; the object of identification presents socially valuable qualities of others, which promotes the assimilation of social norms; due to separation of the acquired norms of behavior, value orientations and motives become individualized.
The identified features are important for the psychological and pedagogical theory and practice.